Friday, November 7, 2008

Thank goodness for technology...

One thing I found after having my son was the extreme change in the amount of time I had to myself for entertainment. I love to watch movies and a wide variety of television shows to relieve stress after a busy day at work. The only thing that got me through the first 6 months (and certainly the 1.5 years after that) was Tivo/DVR. The ability to record shows and pause live TV allowed me to regain some of my sanity...even if only in 15 minute intervals.

Being a first-time mother, and having paranoid relatives who were always telling me the horror stories of SIDS and other terrible infant-related illnesses, I forked out $70 and bought a baby monitor that not only transmitted the sound from my son's room, but also transmitted video. It allowed me to do housework or read a book while relaxing on the couch while my son was sleeping peacefully upstairs, and I was able to glance at the monitor (every 5 minutes for the first few times) to check on him. So, my recommendation: don't be cheap. Fork out an extra $20 and buy a nicer baby monitor. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

MBenti said...

My youngest cousin was born premature, I bet that baby monitor would have put my aunt more at ease. He slept in his crib which was in my aunt's room when he first came home from the hospital, but when she wanted to do things downstairs she would worry. I'll have to remember this one from when I have kids! Although they will probably be cheaper and more mainstream by then...scary.